1.22.2011

The very list, the very utmost bound

The billable hour is not something I expected to miss. (For non-lawyers: imagine having to write down everything you did in a day, keeping track of every 6- or 15-minute interval, and--most detestably--having to scrape together at least 8 hours of actual productivity every day.) But I realized, while picking up the massive amounts of dog poo in our yard (note to self: picking up after the dog is not something one should procrastinate about when living in the soggy Northwest) yesterday, that I do miss it. I miss listing every little thing I do in a day--".25 - Picked up dog poo"--because it lends everything a tinge of purposefulness and accomplishment. A list is proof that the day was not wasted, even if spent on domestic chores that will have to be done all over again almost immediately.

2 comments:

Erin Davis said...

If only we could actually bill someone for our domestic chores!

Anne said...

Excellent point ...